(NAWJU) held a successful symposium in partnership with Women on the Bench Research Project of Bergen University, Oslo at Protea hotel, Kampala. The theme of the symposium was Women on the Bench: Sharing experiences in Management Roles as Women; Adjudication of GBV Cases and finding solutions to challenges.
The Facilitators of this Symposium: Professor Siri Gloppen (University of Bergen and Director Centre on Law & Social Transformation Bergen University and Dr. Pilar Domingo (Senior Researcher, Overseas Development Institute, London) and Siri Gloppen. The Guest of honor was Hon. Lady Justice Dr. Prof. Lillian Tibatemwa-Ekirikubinza, JSC
Participants included Lady Justices: Hon. Henrietta Wolayo -President NAWJU; Hon. Elizabeth Jane Alividza- Vice President NAWJU; Hon. Winfred Nabisinde; Hon. Lydia Mugambe Ssali, Hon. Patricia Basaza- High Court representative NAWJU; Rtd Hon. Lady Justice Margret Oumo Oguli;
Assistant registrar Lillian Mwandha; Chief magistrates Janeva Natukunda, Patricia Amoko, Juliet H. Hatanga, Jessica Chemeri;
Magistrates grade one: Amabilis Stella Maris Odong, H/W Nambatya Irene, H/W Rehema Nassozi Ssembowa, Sarah Tusiime Bashaija, Kabarungi Patience, Nahirya Esther, Mangeni Marion, Nsenge Roselyn, and Nantaawo Agnes, Ninsiima Marion.
Participants had robust discussions throughout the day and at the end of the dialogue, the following recommendations emerged.
- Leadership training opportunities especially specifically tailored for women judicial officers.
- Create positions of leadership for women to lead at the top of the Judiciary
- Multipronged approach to strategizing for leadership positions for women Judges at the top of the Judicial system.
- Advocate for anti-harassment measures in the Judiciary.
- Cultivate a culture of support to fellow women and eliminate culture of shaming them.